Recommendation 36: Strengthening workplace equality education and training
Ambulance Victoria should:
- work in partnership with an external training provider with expertise in leading practice approaches to workplace equality and leadership development, to re-develop and deliver live (in-person or virtually) and as part of induction and otherwise annually:
- a workplace equality training program for all employees and first responders
- an advanced, tailored training program for leaders and managers that reinforces their key responsibilities under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic) and build core workplace equality competencies, including managing challenging conversations and addressing conflict, engaging the workforce in safe discussions about workplace equality, monitoring and mitigating risks of unlawful and harmful workplace conduct, taking a victim-centric and trauma-informed approach to reports and complaints of unlawful and harmful workplace conduct, which includes understanding intersectionality and the particular needs of different staff cohorts, and anticipating and addressing backlash
- develop practical tools and resources to support the workforce and leaders and managers to apply key learnings from these programs
- ensure its systems allow training completion rates to be adequately monitored and reported on
The training should be rolled out sequentially, with the advanced management training program delivered by December 2022, followed by universal workplace equality training for all employees and first responders to be delivered by July 2023.
What we are doing
- Seek to create a consensus view about what good leadership looks like at Ambulance Victoria
- Re-develop and deliver in induction and annually a workplace equality training program for employees and first responders
- Re-develop and deliver in induction and annually an advanced, tailored workplace equality training program for leaders and managers (as detailed by the Commission and picking up other related training recommendations) and develop supporting tools and resources
- Undertake any system improvements to enable accurate recording and reporting on training completion rates
Where we are up to
- AV is updating the design of the ‘Upstander’ and ‘Equal Employee Opportunity (EEO)’ programs, which aim to encourage and support our workforce to raise concerns about unlawful and harmful workplace conduct and equip leaders and managers to create safe, fair and inclusive workplace cultures. The programs are due to rollout to our operational workforce from late 2023 and into 2024.
- AV continues to deliver its equal employment opportunity training to new starters via our induction program, pending a review and the re-development of the training program.
- In October 2020, AV introduced a new Learning Management System. In February 2022, AV included a function on the LMS to enable real time and in the field tracking of training attendance and competency assessment outcomes.