Recommendation 29: Advancing equal pay
Ambulance Victoria should consider the following actions when developing the organisation’s Gender Equality Action Plan under the Gender Equality Act 2020 (Vic):
- develop an equal pay policy and seek to include an equal pay clause in future enterprise agreements
- introduce targets to reduce the gender pay gap and report against these targets annually
- allocate sufficient resources to rectify pay gaps identified through pay gap analyses
- support managers and hold them accountable for achieving equal pay including, at a minimum, through incorporating the issue of equal pay into broader training and resources for managers and requiring managers to demonstrate as part of their annual performance appraisals how they have sought to ensure pay equality
- establish processes to raise concerns or make unequal pay complaints
- target the underlying drivers of unequal pay at Ambulance Victoria, including by expediting more inclusive recruitment and promotion practices set out in these recommendations
- expand workforce demographic data collection and monitoring to identify any other pay gaps.
What we are doing
- Address actions idenitfied by the Commission to reduce gender pay gap when developing Gender Equality Action Plan
- Develop an equal pay policy and seek to include an equal pay clause in future enterprise agreements
- Conduct annual reviews of gender pay gap and report annually against target to reduce gender pay gap
- Work closely with Department of Health to ensure there is sufficient resources to rectify pay gaps identified through pay gap analyses
- Support managers and hold them accountable for achieving equal pay including through training and resources and requiring them to demonstrate as part of annual performance appraisals efforts to ensure pay equality
- Establish processes to raise concerns or make unequal pay complaints
- Identify actions to target the underlying drivers of unequal pay in the prevention plan (R3)
- Expand workforce demographic data collection and monitoring to identify any other pay gaps
Where we are up to
- AV included actions identified by the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission to advance equal pay, in its Gender Equality Action Plan
- AV will start work to advance equal pay once key staff are recruited and as part of forthcoming enterprise bargaining negotiations.
- The Equality & Workplace Reform Division will test potential amendments to AV’s ‘New Starter Form’ – as part of the onboarding of the division’s staff – to capture better diversity data about our workforce, supported by proposed communications describing the value that AV attaches to diversity data, why it is collecting this information and how it intends to use it. This data will support future analyses of any pay gaps related to gender or other aspects of diversity.
To be confirmed