Recommendation 33: Building knowledge, capability and accountability
Ambulance Victoria should:
- ensure all employees are aware of the organisation’s commitment to flexibility by embedding relevant content pertaining to rights and obligations under the Think Flex First Framework, the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic), the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), the Ambulance Victoria Enterprise Agreement 2020 (and other industrial agreements) into induction and other relevant training for graduate paramedics and new employees
- build capability for managers by:
- embedding relevant content referred to in recommendation (a) above and content that better enables managers to promote workplace flexibility and respond to and support flexible working arrangements requests in new targeted workplace equality training for managers referred to in Section 12.5.1
- developing fit-for-purpose resources and tools for employees, managers and teams to ensure managers apply the Think Flex First Framework and ensure all staff have equal access to flexibility
- embed workplace flexibility key performance indicators for managers to formally incentivise and acknowledge inclusive leadership behaviour and identify managers who require additional capability and support:
- managers who do not record written reasons for refusals should be assessed as not meeting core behavioural and risk KPIs
- actively role modelling flexibility and/or endeavours to introduce team-led advancements in flexibility should be identified as an example of meeting core behavioural KPIs.
What we are doing
- Embed information about rights and manager obligations related to flexible work into induction and other relevant training for graduate paramedics and new employees
- Develop resources and tools for staff and managers to support the implementation of the Think Flex First Framework
- Develop training to support managers to effectively and lawfully respond to flexible work requests
- Develop mandatory Key Performance Indicators for manager performance plans
- Develop and implement learning plans to support managers who are found not to have met their Key Performance Indicators
Where we are up to
- AV will commence work to build knowledge, capability and accountability once key staff are recruited.
- AV’s Gender Equality Action Plan includes actions related to flexible work, in line with Recommendations 30-33 made by the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission.
To be confirmed